Friday, August 17, 2012

Our First Vacation - A Trip to CA

In June, Reese and I were given an opportunity that I couldn't pass up.  A friend offered to let us stay at their condo in Oceanside, CA for a long weekend.  Thank god that Lani was able to ride with us as we drove over because I could not have driven and kept Reese entertained for the six hour drive.
We cut it scarily close on the drive over and had only a quarter of a gallon of gas left and we were in the middle of nowhere. I am so thankful for that little gas station that came out of no where. Above was Reese and I saying thank your to a little shrine to Mary at the gas station.

We got there late so first thing Saturday morning we headed down to the ocean. We didn't let the clouds or the chill in the air keep us away. Reese loved digging in the sand with her new beach toys. We splashed in the waves and had some snacks on.


Sand was everywhere!!
First time at the ocean!

We headed back to the "apartment" for a lunch on the balcony then a long nap. 
Afterwards, we went for a walk down the ocean to the pier. 

And we found a swing set!!

We ran back along the water.  That night we were both chilly from it being so much colder than at home so Reese took a hot bath and we read our new Brave book.

Sunday morning we got up and headed straight for the ocean again.  It was great to be on our own schedule just the two of us.  We came back for lunch and then packed up the car and headed to San Diego to spend the afternoon with my friend, Kristina, and her family.  Kristina was weeks away from having her third son but still welcomed us with open arms.  Paul, her husband, was amazing with the kids and took Jack and Reese on a ride in the kid size car around the block.  Then, he took them down to the neighborhood pool for an hour and gave Kristina and I a chance to catch up.  We had dinner with Kristina, Paul, Pat and Kathleen and then headed back to Oceanside.
Reese, Jack and Jimmie dancing in the living room!

Monday morning we got up and headed to the happiest place on earth!!!!!
We got a later start than planned and hit some traffic on the way but none of it mattered because that day was the first day that Reese would experience Disneyland!  I was really hoping that I could take Reese this year but I wasn't sure how financially I was going to be able to do it.  It was such a great day for the two of us to have together.  It is a day that I am not likely to ever forget!
We are on the bus from the parking lot to the entrance to Disneyland!
Too excited to sleep!

So I had a whole plan on what we would do first and how we would maneuver the park but when we got inside and I forgot it all.  Our first ride was Pinocchio because there was no line and then we jumped on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.  If you have been to Disney, you should be wondering what I was thinking, apparently I wasn't.  Those are the two scariest rides there are.  Reese actually started to cry in Mr. Toads.  So then I woke up and stopped freaking out about missing something or not having enough time and tried to just live in the moment.  We went to King Arthur's Carousel and all began to be right with the world.  Reese knew exactly which horse she wanted to ride and she loved it.
What is it about riding around in a circle, going up and down on a horse that is so much fun?  I can't explain it but this carousel turned our day around!
Dumbo! Reese wanted the yellow one and loved being in charge of going up or down.
First set of Mickey ears ever!  All she wanted was one with a veil.

First princess encounter ever!  The line took forever in the hot sun and we had not even seen the movie yet but meeting Merida was totally worth it!
Crazy, curly haired girls
It's a Small World - Reese's favorite ride

Lunch in Critter Country
Tarzan's Tree House (Swiss Family Robinson)
A little nervous about what Jungle Cruise was going to bring.
My brave girl on Pirates of the Caribbean!  She didn't want to go on this ride and I tried to guilt her for a minute because it was closed the last time I was here.  Trying to be a good mom, I gave up on it until we got off of Jungle Cruise and Reese very genuinely said to me "I think I am brave enough to go on Pirates."  I talked her through the beginning and at one point she said at the top of her lungs "I'm not even scared!" 
She likes to sing it "Yo, Ho, Yo, Ho, A pirates life for sale!"
In Pixie Hollow!

I really thought meeting Tinkerbell was going to be the highlight of the day to Reese but I was wrong.  It was meeting Mickey Mouse.  The excitement on her face when we first saw him was worth anything I have ever done for her.  She was truly excited to meet him.  It was one of the best moments of my life.
Minnie was pretty exciting too.  The professional picture people caught a great picture of Reese's little smiling face peaking out from between Minnie's skirt and arms when they hugged.  It was really cute!

After Toon Town, we headed straight to the area where you can wait in line to meet the princesses.  I knew that Reese would love it and I knew it was closing soon so it became an instant priority.
We were able to meet Cinderella!

Jasmine was a huge hit and Reese's favorite princess, which I was surprised about.

She is showing Aurora her picture on her autograph book.

Sleeping Beauty!

On our drive to Disneyland, Reese asked if she would be able to drive a rocketship.  Dreams really do some true!
We made it 13 hours in the park with no nap and no meltdowns.  These glow bracelates that I brought from home, saved the night as a good distraction when the say became too long. 
Of course, Reese decided at the end of the day that she was brave enough to ride on The Haunted Mansion.  Since Fantasmic was going on, we were able to walk right onto the ride.  Of course, it was scary and I talked Reese through the whole ride but now that we are home, this is the one she asks to watch on YouTube or hear the song to. 

Reese was asleep before I even started the car to drive back.  On that 45 minute drive back, my tire light came on and I started to panic that we would not be able to drive back to Phoenix the next day.  It was perfectly fine the next day and I think that light coming on just to keep me awake on the drive home that night. 

We took our time packing up on Tuesday and recovering from our marathon in Disneyland.  Then, we picked up Lani and drove an uneventful drive back to Phoenix.  It went by too fast and I wish we could have stayed a week longer in Disneyland but this was a wonderful first vacation for Reese and I.  Everything worked out and I was able to take her to experience Disneyland  and the ocean for the first time.  It was a really wonderful trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment