Friday, September 28, 2012

Heart

Warning: I'm a bit of Debbie Downer today.
 
I have kept my heart to myself for many years now.  I have found it easier to keep it protected than to put it out there with the chance that it could be hurt.  It has been through a lot in my life, especially the past number of years with my family.  Every once in a while I yearn for butterflies, first kisses, undivided attention and the excitement that goes along with new relationships.  Today is one of those days.  I am blaming it on the new Mumford and Sons cd, which is wonderful but slow folk songs about relationships will do this to a perpetually single girl.
 
Usually I turn to All the Real Girls staring a young Paul Schneider (I secretly love him) and Zooey Deschanel from 2002.  It is about a quirky couple which makes me fall in love with him every time. 
 
I need to read The Red Tree by Shaun Tan again.  It is a "graphic novel" with beautiful art work to tell the story of a girl in a dark and grey world until one day a beautiful red tree springs to life and fills her life.  It is a great book to remind me that things to get better even when you feel like you are drowning.
 
The Heart and the Bottle by Oliver Jeffers
"After safeguarding her heart in a bottle hung around her neck, a girl finds the bottle growing heavier and her interest in things around her becoming smaller."
This one is about a girl who puts her heart in a bottle to protect it but then forgets how to use it because she hasn't.  Someday I will put my heart to use again.  I do use it now to love Reese more than I thought I could love but it is different.

No comments:

Post a Comment