Thursday, September 20, 2012

Books and me

Sometimes I need to remember that I am still who I am even though I am now also Reese's mom.  So I posted about my title change and sometimes how I am feeling overwhelmed but I want to include other things that I am doing and that makes me me.

On Monday, they were cleaning the carpets at the Library so I couldn't go into work.  Awww, shucks!  I rescheduled a dentist appointment and inspection/home visit for that day.  I had a couple hours in the afternoon so I took advantage of the quiet time and went thrifting, something I have not done once since I took custody of Reese.  It was wonderful and I found some great treasures.  I came home with a food tray with a map of the States, three dresses (two vintage, one target brand), the two books above, a "Big Dipper" mug just like the one I gave to my dad from the Secret Santa store at school one year, a clip board for Reese to draw in the car (or outside as she has been doing), a milk bottle to hold my crochet hooks and an awesome nesting doll complete with seven dolls.  And I spent $30, that's it!  The Girls Treasury book was printed in 1949 and The Coming of the Mormons is a Landmark book from 1954, for 50 cents each.  I couldn't pass them up!

In my quiet time, I have been reading many cozy mysteries because they are quick and easy to ready with developed, sometimes quirky, characters.  Nothing shocking (other than a murder or two) happens and they make me happy.  Right now I am reading Buttercream Bump Off from the Cupcake Bakery Mystery series by Jenn McKinlay, a local author.  I like that the books are set in Scottsdale so I can recognize the landmarks that are referenced.  I know they are not very high literature for a librarian so judge me if you like, but they help me turn my worrying brain off.

I also started listening to Quiet.  If you know me, you know I enjoy listening to audiobooks which has been hard since I have Reese now.  Sometimes I have a task at work that allows me to listen and I also try to after I put Reese to bed and am cleaning up the house and making lunches for the next day.  So far, I am really enjoying Quiet, probably because it makes me feel better about being an introvert and is discussing some of the strengths I have because of my nature.  I also realize how much this is inevitably a part of who I am, no matter how much I put on my armor and pretend to be an extrovert, and that it isn't something to be ashamed of or try to cover up.  I recommend it if you liked Malcolm Gladwell's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment