Friday, July 19, 2013

Last day

Today is the last day I will spend in my twenties.  Amy sent me a note with my birthday present that did a great job of reminding me how much I have accomplished in my twenties.  When I turned twenty, I was getting ready to begin my junior year of college at IU, going to live in Hoosier Courts with Amber and Beth that fall and was still dating Jon.  Now, I am a mother of a four and a half year old, children's librarian, living in Noblesville.  I never dreamed that life would take me where it has.
Here is a quick snapshot of my twenties:

  • Visited Europe two times: London and Florence, London and Greek Isles
  • Worked at three museums: IMA, Indiana State Museum, Phoenix Art Museum
  • Skydived twice
  • Been to numerous new places: Annapolis, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, New York, Disneyland...
  • Graduated with bachelors and masters degrees
  • Fell out of love and in love a couple times, then discovered unconditional love when Reese was born
  • Navigated the foster system so that I could adopt my baby and become a mother
  • Moved cross-country to scary new places twice
  • Met some amazing people
  • Read many amazing books (not enough)
There is so much more but I have to get back to work from my lunch break.  

This morning Reese ran to the bathroom as I was getting ready and said "Happy Birthday, Mom!"  I gave her a huge hug and said "Not until tomorrow, baby. But that just made my day."  I was freaking out a lot earlier this week, thinking that my life wasn't where I thought it would be when I turned thirty.  But the combination of Amy's words and Reese's love has helped to remind me that it doesn't matter where I think I should be, this is where I am and that is pretty amazing.



No comments:

Post a Comment