Friday, March 23, 2012

The Lizard

On Monday of spring break, Reese and I had to leave my office because we had pushed the limit on nap time.  Reese was just in my office crying for no reason and I ended up having to juggle her and all the bags of toys that I had brought with me.  I was just thankful that the Library is closed on Mondays and no other staff work on the same floor as the Library.  So needless to say, I was at my wits end by the time we got home and I was not feeling like a good mother.

I walked into Reese's room to get it ready for her to take a nap and when I looked down, in a tiny two inch square patch of sunlight on the floor was a lizard.  Reese was coming in and I was afraid she would scare it away but I was also afraid of her freaking out so I tried to stop her without telling her why and sneak out of the room to get a tupperware to trap it.  I came back and got him!  I sent Reese for a magazine to slide under the tupperware and that is when she figured out what was happening.  She crouched down to watch and as I slipped the magazine underneath, the lizard snuck out and ran in her direction.  I turned to see that her reaction time was not fast enough and the amazing face she made as the lizard started to crawl on her knee.  She finally leaped up screaming and the lizard took shelter under a bookshelf.  Thankfully, I was able to trap the lizard in the tupperware and take him outside.  Reese followed me outside and after I set him free she said "You stay outside, lizard. That is my room." 

I started to dispose of my evacuation tools and Reese came to me and said "Now there is a snake in my room!"  In all the mayhem the lizard had lost his tale and was grossly wiggling on Reese's bedroom floor.  I flushed that down the toilet, all the time trying to explain how lizards loose their tails to a three year old. 

It was an experience that put things back into perspective, which I was needing in that moment.  Reese commented later that I was not scared at all.  Apparently, I kept it cool on the outside while I was freaking out on the inside.  I feel like that right there is what it means to be a good parent so maybe I am not doing so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment