Saturday, June 19, 2010

Baby Hummingbird Rescue Mission

Last week sometime, I noticed the hummingbird nest under the patio at castle house with two baby humming birds in it.  We had noticed the mom coming around but it wasn't until I saw a lot of bird poo in a concentrated area that I put the two together.  Of course, I have been crazy for the babies from the first moment I saw them. 

When I came home from work yesterday, one of the babies was sitting on the ground on the patio.  it is a miracle that I saw him!  I freaked out, called the Wazny house and forced Matt into helping in the rescue.  He put the little guy back into the nest (after making sure that this was okay but is was because apparently hummingbirds don't have a sense of smell... learn something new everyday).  Not even two minutes later, the little bugger was on the ground again.  He was smaller than his brother so we started thinking that there just wasn't room for the two of them in the nest any more.  True to my reaction in most emergencies, my brain stopped working so I had to call Layla to remember the name of the bird sanctuary where she volunteers.  Then Matt put him in a little box I had and I drove out to Scottsdale to drop the little guy at Liberty Wildlife. 

When I got out of the car there was a jack rabbit hopping through the parking lot and despite me thinking that I was suddenly Snow White, he did not become my friend but hopped off to nature.  I took the baby to the window and filled out some paperwork when something caught my eye.  I looked down and not an inch from my foot was a three foot long snake.  I looked at the guy who had just taken my baby hummingbird but I couldn't form words and he had to ask what was wrong.  Finally I gained control of my body and said "there's a snake!" and leaped back.  He comes out to see and says "at least it isn't a rattler but that is the biggest one I've ever seen."  Of course he knew the type of snake it was but I was too much in hysterics to remember.  Mind you I was still in a very girly dress and shoes from work so I am sure this was a sight to be seen!


These pictures don't begin to describe how cute this little guy was.  You can see the pen in the background of this picture for scale.  Needless to say, it was an eventful day!

2 comments:

  1. wowzers, LP! that lil guy is so dang cute! i wish he could be our mascot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the part about snow white!! I laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete