Monday, March 4, 2013

Sick

Last Tuesday I had a call that Reese hit her head on the playground at school but that they put ice on it and she went back to playing.  A couple hours later I received another call that now she had a temp and was lethargic so I went to pick her up.  She didn't feel well but was able to laugh and be herself in between not feeling well and then we did not sleep much at all that night.  Reese was up every hour saying that her head hurt and she had a fever.  I was convinced that she had a traumatic brain injury and I am truly thankful to Amy because she answered the phone every time, knowing full well that it would be me calling to worry and ask medical questions about my kid. 
It was Dr. Seuss week at school so on Wednesday Reese really wanted to go to school in the morning so I took the cue from her and we got ready and went.  She was there about an hour and then I received the call that she wasn't feeling well and had a fever.  We ended up at Urgent Care that afternoon after I tried to call her primary care doctor to see if they thought that the fever was related to the head injury and without even getting to talk to a physician, they told me to go to the ER.  Thank god we went to Urgent Care (and that it is literally around the corner from our house) because three hours later they concluded that Reese had an ear infection and tonsillitis and none of it was caused by her hitting her head, phew.  


Reese didn't bounce back from this... She staying with Amy on Thursday morning so I could go into work for a couple hours then Aunt Karen had to come out last minute on Friday morning because I really thought she was going to be better for Friday but she wasn't.  
I do not do well with medical situations and I am even worse when it is my responsibility to make decisions about how Reese gets better.  I worry constantly and it takes over all rational thought.  I am so thankful for Amy, who listened to me worry constantly for the entire week and reassured me many times.  I don't know what I would have done if Karen hadn't driven out to watch Reese Friday because I had to give a talk at work.  

I am just so happy that Saturday my happy little girl was back!

No comments:

Post a Comment